2012-04-08

Featured Comments: Week of 2012 April 1

There was one post that got a few comments, so I will repost all of those.

Revisited: Linux Mint (KDE), Chakra, Fuduntu

Reader Andrew Wyatt, who is also the creator of Fuduntu, had this suggestion (which unfortunately did not work) for my Skype issues: "Try going to Preferences > Sound, then selecting the Hardware tab and then set the Profile to "Analog Stereo Duplex". Next, select the Input tab and then Click the radio button for Internal Analog Stereo (you'll probably find that it is not selected). Now set the Mic volume to whatever you want. Do a test call in Skype to see if your Mic works."
Commenter tracyanne said, " I've already moved to KDE on my Linux Mint 12 desktop. I was running LM 9 with GNOME 2 + Compiz, but an update broke something, basically Compiz stopped working, I could change the settings but they had no affect. So I upgraded to LM 12 and installed KDE then upgraded KDE 4.7.4 to 4.8.1 with the PPA."
Reader Randy had this suggestion: "Here is something for you to try! If you like gnome-do, gnome 2.3, compiz, then you should try Mint 12 LXDE and change the window manager from openbox-LXDE to Compiz! It's lighter than KDE and you can customize it to feel like Gnome 2.3. Best of all you will still have gnome-do available."
Commenter claudecat said, "Mint 12 KDE is a fine choice, and let's face it - gnome 2 is going to be gone forever at some point, and I have my doubts about MATE's longterm prognosis. For an even lighter KDE, you might try Arch or the dreaded Gentoo (230k ram use at idle with the full KDE installed - akonadi and nepomuk disabled). Not sure how or if your apps of choice would work with those however."

Thanks to all those who commented on this past week's posts. This coming week, I hope to have two follow-up posts to some previous articles I wrote, and maybe something else (or maybe not). Anyway, if you like what I write, please continue subscribing and commenting!