2011-07-25

Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

Yesterday, I went to see this movie with my family. I hadn't been to a movie theater with them in a long time, so it was nice to go like that.
I have to say that as someone who read all the books and watched all the movies (I consider myself more than a casual fan but less than a die-hard fan), I was generally underwhelmed by the movie. All of the battle scenes were too short and underdone. I would say the most egregious scene in that sense was the final scene between Harry and Voldemort, because for a climax, it was totally anticlimactic, especially the way Voldemort just disintegrated; combined with the lack of a cool celebration scene at the end, I felt like the whole movie ended with a whimper instead of a bang. The two redeeming scenes were the Pensieve and limbo scenes; those were really well done, and they both brought Snape and Dumbledore out as the spectacularly done characters of the movie. Overall, I'd recommend that people watch it just for the purpose of closure, but prepare to be somewhat disappointed. Then again, my impression of Part 1 has waned as well as I've come to realize that it wasn't much more than the trio just running around in big fields trying to figure out how to find and destroy that locket.